By; Mara Sampson
The chaos of life brings forth a whirlwind of emotions; a series of pits and peaks as we navigate the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, celebrate the highs and hold on tight through the lows. These fluctuating emotions are all part of being human…but if you’re feeling overwhelmed, this is something you need to take seriously.
High stress levels shouldn’t be normal. Not only does this diminish your quality of life and have serious effects on your emotional well-being, but it could also affect your health and relationships. Fortunately, the human body possesses a natural mechanism to combat high levels of cortisol (the stress hormone) and promote well-being—endorphins! If you can harness this biological resource, you can enjoy better sex and health.
Stress and Health
Chronic stress can have seriously detrimental effects on your mental and physical well-being. Prolonged stress can trigger or exacerbate mental health conditions like anxiety disorders and depression. It can lead to difficulty concentrating, memory problems, and increased irritability. This goes hand in hand with sleep disturbances, which cause chronic fatigue and decreased productivity, further worsening mental health.
Stress also triggers hormones like cortisol, which can suppress the immune system, making individuals more susceptible to infections and slowing down the body’s ability to heal. Additionally, stress can lead to more serious health complications as it elevates blood pressure and heart rate, increasing the risk of hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
Stress can affect the reproductive system in both men and women. In women, it may cause irregular periods, aggravate premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and even contribute to fertility problems. In men, stress can lead to decreased sperm production and sexual dysfunction.
This is far from a comprehensive list of the effects of stress, so it isn’t something to take lightly. Luckily, your life doesn’t have to be controlled by stress, and there are many ways to alleviate it.
What Are Endorphins and Why Are They Good For Us?
Endorphins are feel-good chemicals released by the brain to alleviate pain and stress and encourage pleasure. These neurotransmitters are responsible for making you feel happy and giving your body a natural high.
Endorphins have been associated with a number of mental and physical health benefits, including reduced inflammation, regulated appetite, enhanced cognitive function and immune system, improved moods, and reduced symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression.
Endorphins and Sex
Endorphins play a significant role in enhancing sexual intimacy between partners. Firstly, they combat symptoms of stress which directly impact reproductive health and comfort. Lowering stress levels overall also leads to a more relaxed and enjoyable sexual experience. Because endorphins combat pain, they can help with any discomfort some people may experience while engaging in sex.
During sexual arousal and activity, the body releases endorphins, creating a sense of euphoria and pleasure. This natural high leads to a more intense and fulfilling sexual experience. At the same time, the release of endorphins during sex fosters a sense of bonding and emotional intimacy between partners. This enhances libido and encourages a greater desire for intimate moments between partners.
To get the most out of this feel-good hormone, you should incorporate endorphin-boosting activities before, during and after your time in the bedroom. Fan the flames of intimacy by engaging in foreplay and casual sensual touch, and don’t underestimate the power of non-sexual intimacy—there should be tons of playfulness and laughter in your relationship to maintain a rock-solid connection. Boosting endorphins and intimacy go hand in hand when it comes to enhancing your sex life.
5 Ways To Boost Endorphins
We’ve talked about fostering intimacy to get your endorphins going, but we’ve got five more suggestions for endorphin-boosting activities.
- Seek Out Adventure: Seeking out new experiences and adventures with your partner can stimulate the release of endorphins and reignite the spark in your relationship. Whether it’s going to a new destination or trying out a thrill-seeking activity, the novelty and excitement of a new experience can lead to increased endorphin release.
- Regular Exercise: Ever heard of runner’s high? Regular exercise is one of the most effective ways to boost endorphin levels. There are many ways to incorporate physical activity into your routine. If you’re not a fan of the gym, you can cycle, go for a jog, hit the pool, or even try out a dance class. Exercise not only promotes better overall health but also enhances your sexual vitality and stamina. If you want more quality time with your partner, make them your gym or running buddy.
- Mindfulness: If you’re looking for ways to relax and destress, practicing mindfulness is key. It can promote relaxation and reduce stress, leading to increased endorphin levels. Mindfulness can also enhance your ability to be present during intimate moments with your partner. Encourage your partner to focus on the moment with you so that you both benefit from your increased awareness.
- Explore the Outdoors: Spending time in nature is a huge mood booster and stress reliever. It promotes restfulness and provides a safe haven from the distractions of life. If you’re feeling adventurous, hiking or biking can give you a huge boost, but a simple walk does the job too. This is a great way to spend quality time with your partner and foster intimacy away from the distractions of technology and daily life.
- Start a New Project: It’s great to have a goal outside of your work and personal responsibilities. This will give you a sense of fulfillment outside of your professional life, which is sure to be a huge mood booster. Starting a project could mean redecorating your home or tending to a neglected garden; it could even just mean setting new goals related to a hobby, like trying out a new recipe every week. This will bring more balance to your life. Involving your partner strengthens your bond and share a mutual sense of excitement and creativity.
Beat Stress The Natural Way
Don’t let stress overcome you. Harness the power of endorphins to unlock better sex and overall health. These natural mood boosters offer a wide range of benefits, from stress reduction to improved immune health.
By incorporating daily endorphin-boosting activities, you can pave the way for a more relaxing, fulfilling life in the bedroom and outside it too.